Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Shapes galore...

I can't remember if I mentioned it on blog, but sometime ago (roughly 3 months back, when he was about 21 months old, when I still had a maid and life was muccccccccch easier!), Julian started pointing at random objects like the moon, traffic lights, garden lights etc and yelling the word "circle". Of course, it sounded like "kerkel" but I'm his mom, and I usually can make out most things he says.

So I took it upon myself to teach him shapes, but for the first few days of trying to teach him shapes like square and triangle, he called everything "kerkel" and absolutely refused to cooperate. He'd look at me with a silly smile, point to a square and gleefully cry out "kerkel!!!". So, I gave up. Yes, I know terrible thing to do, but hey at the time I was 5 months pregnant with 2 kids under the age of 2, a husband who's away on work most of the time and with a maid who was driving me up the wall. So, yes... I gave up thinking that he'll "get it" in his own time.

Then, a week down, I can't remember when exactly, he came up to me as I was  getting ready to go shopping, he pointed to my earring and said "oval". Hmmm... so I pulled his Shapes Book out and pointed at the various shapes, he named them all correctly! Ahhh... my son!

So these are the shapes he currently knows: (or shows me he knows)
1. circle
2. square
3. triangle
4. right triangle
5. rectangle
6. oval
7. crescent (although he calls is "moon")
8. star
9. heart
10.hexagon
11.pentagon
12.diamond

He loves this particular video on youtube, which I can play over and over again and he never gets bored... so easy to please! Below is a video of Julian, he's a little soft as it was time to sleep...



I shall be working on Polygons next...

No comments:

Post a Comment