Friday, 4 November 2011

When the Waddle isn't cute anymore...

I promised myself that I wouldn't have the "pregnancy waddle", whilst being pregnant the third time over. Yes, yes, I admit... I waddled a whole lot when I was pregnant the first and second time... albeit trying really hard NOT to. It's not easy, especially looking at ladies literally skipping and cat walking all around me while I tried hard just "trying" not to waddle!!!

It was about a month ago, when I was about 26 weeks pregnant (belly wasn't showing yet) when I caught myself waddling in MidValley Shopping Center, and not waddling slowly, but a quick waddle, mind you. I was almost running-waddling to get myself a shopping trolley outside  before it gets taken (yes, it was a Saturday and  most of KL was there). I hadn't really noticed, but a lady walking towards me asked if I was pregnant. I, of course, beaming with pride said yes. She said "I can tell, you're waddling". How annoying!

These days, I try to not waddle so much because it does look horrendous from the back and I hate it when random people come up to me and ask if I'm pregnant just because of the waddle. But it takes so much effort! So I decided to do a little research as to why pregnant ladies waddle. (Nope, they don't teach this in med school).

1. The baby belly :
Assuming the baby belly creates the waddle does make sense, but there is more to it than that. The  additional weight that sits on most women while pregnant is primarily in the front, causing the shift in the centre of gravity higher up as the pregnancy progresses... therefore the waddle.

2. Backaches :
With so much weight in the front of the abdomen, it can cause back aches, especially if we already have back issues. With the baby leaning on the bladder, we always have to use the bathroom. What does the baby making us have to pee all the time have to do with our back? Altering our gait helps with bladder control a bit.The waddle helps with this ache, and as silly as it looks, who cares, if it helps with mobility.

3. Relaxin :
Relaxin, a hormone that's released during pregnancy causes loosening of the pelvic ligaments which can cause laxity. When there is too much laxity there can be instability and pain, so gait alteration is another cause for the waddle.

So, there goes... Quack!! Quack!!






1 comment: