Monday, 24 October 2011

Delightful Play-Doh



The kiddos who usually sleep for  3.5 hours in the afternoon, decide TOGETHER to wake simultaneously after what was barely an hour. There goes my afternoon, I thought. As I normally plan my day around their nap times, I had a tonne of work which I had to finish today... and it seemed to me that if the 2 bubs were going to be awake and wanted to play, there was no way I was going to have anything done.

So I came up with a brilliant idea... Play-doh!!! Homemade, of course. Too much toxic substances in the shop bought variety. It took me only 5 minutes to make it, and a WHOLE hour and a half to myself whilst the kids made a mess in the wet kitchen. Yay!!!(I couldn't have them play outside, as it was raining.) Thank god for maids! I just popped in with my laptop to supervise.

This is the recipe I used, and because my brother is a part-time baker... I had ready stuff in the house which I could grab. Phew!

Everyday Playdoh
1. Mix 1 cup of flour, 1/3 cup of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar in a bowl.(didn't have tartar, so I went without)
2. Meanwhile, bring to boil 1 cup of water, one tablespoon of cooking oil and a few drops of food coloring.
3. A little flavoring essence could be added, too.. I used vanilla.
4. Pour hot mixture into flour mixture and stir. Add more flour if necessary.
5. Store in refrigerator after use.

I had them pick the colours, since they had about 30 to choose from, there was a little bit of a turmoil there.

Very excited!... Note: The kitchen was very clean when we started.


At this point he was deciding what to do with the Play-Doh

So, he decided to share it with his sister, Genevieve...Awww, so sweet!



This is Genevieve, happily playing on her own.

Note the sticky fingers. Luckily this Play-Doh came off with a single wash, no trouble at all!



Julian trying to pat the Play-Doh down with his foot, to later cut it with heart shaped cookie cutter. Smart boy, multi-tasking!

He rolled this one on his own!


STILL trying to figure out what to do with the Play-Doh

Note the even messier fingers!

Trying to add Play-Doh buttons to the red roll.

And this is what Genevieve finally achieved. A messy self, and an even messier kitchen. Note the "I didn't do this" look.


Smiley: Julian made this, with my help, of course.

Play-Doh safely tucked into plastic bags for later use.





They were so tired after the exciting afternoon, that they had an hours nap after... good for them, and even better for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment