Tuesday, 15 November 2011

The perils of POTTY TRAINING.

I decided to potty train Julian when he turned 18 months old mainly for 2 reasons.
1. So when he starts pre-school in Kinderland (still deciding) when he turns 30 months, he'll be sufficiently PT'ed.
2. I can save on a tonne of money, as Jessica has pointed out in her blog.
3. I can boast to everyone that my 1 and a half year old is DIAPER-FREE!!! hehe...

I had prematurely bought 2 potty's and strewn them around the house thinking he would use it on his own when he turned 1... Hah! Yeah right, on his own? No way! With Julian and his pee-pee and poo-poo... it was ALWAYS in the diaper or on the floor, he never used to go in his potty, no matter how much i coaxed or bribed him. So his potty was left unused until I came across some articles regarding Potty Training.

Articles which are good to read:
1. http://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-training-in-three-days-or-less_10310078.bc

2. http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2008/05/29/quick-and-easy-potty-training/#ixzz1WD1f1Jw1
(this is the one I followed) 

3. http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/A-How-to-Potty-Train-One-Day.html

Books which are good to get/read from a library:






Although the concept is somewhat similar, I would still stick to the above link(the one I have highlighted in red), only because it worked for me. This book has worked wonders for many mommies too.

I had tonnes of rest the day before "THE DAY" as I knew I had to be on my toes, watching Julian like a hawk, and running around with a cloth and mop (not that I did this on my own, I had a maid to help.. God bless her!). I had placed 1 potty in the kitchen (at the back of the house), 1 potty in the hall (in the front of the house) and 1 potty upstairs. I managed to keep Julian in the same room most of the day, so I wouldn't need to run around washing too many potties (smart move on my side, if I say so myself).

I started PT'ing at 7:30am on a Monday, and he was successfully potty trained by 5pm the same day. Not a miracle if I can do it. And he has been diaper free from then onwards, except when he naps in the afternoon, and when he sleeps at night. Crazy, but true!!!

(Sometimes, due to my paranoid nature, I still have his diapers on when I bring him out/ when we have guests over... he can get over-excited!)


No comments:

Post a Comment